- DIY Vape
- Vape News
What’s the Best Vaping Device? The Answer Might Surprise You!
Decisions…decisions… Once you understand vaping and decide it’s right for you, the next step is to choose your vaping device. With all the options available, this can seem more than a little daunting, but don’t worry! Like Moses and the Red Sea, we’re here to part the product-filled fog and help you see what you want more clearly.
We’ve put together some pros and cons for the three different types of personal vaporizers: the electronic cigarette (e-cigarette, e-cig, cigalike), the vape pen, and the vape mod. Keep in mind that a lot of people refer to any personal vaporizer as an e-cig or a vape, but there are definitely differences between them.
Read on to learn more about the differences and decide which vaping device is best for you!
- E-cigs resemble the shape and size of real cigarettes. Some even feature an LED on the end that glows when you inhale, mimicking the burning tip of a cigarette.
- These devices simply consist of a rechargeable battery and a cartomizer, making them more portable. The cartomizer has an integrated atomizer and a cartridge that holds the nicotine and flavor.
- The average e-cigarette includes around 300 puffs, the equivalent of about 30 traditional cigarettes. The cartomizer can be changed when it runs out of juice.
- Some e-cigs work with prefilled cartridges, meaning you don’t have to refill them yourself.
- Sleek and discreet, e-cigs feature attractive, slim-line designs you can easily slip into your pocket.
- E-cigarettes can be purchased in many convenience stores, giving you easy access.
- Electronic cigarettes may be mistaken for real cigarettes. This could result in an awkward situation if you are vaping in a non-smoking area.
- Due to the smaller size, e-cigs have limited battery life and tank capacity and will usually need to be recharged and refilled more often than their vape counterparts.
- Weaker vapor production is typical for e-cigs, as they hold less liquid than other personal vaporizers and produce smaller vapor clouds.
- You are restricted to buying cartridges that are the same brand as your e-cig, which limits the choice of e-juice flavors for vaping.
- Customization isn’t possible, as you can’t mix and match e-liquids or fill and refill the cartridge.
- A larger tank size means fewer refills are needed. Like an e-cig, vape pens consist of a battery and an atomizer, but they also feature tanks that hold refillable flavored e-liquids. The average tank holds 1-2 ml of liquid, which equates to approximately 50 puffs per ml of liquid.
- Tanks can hold practically any brand of e-liquid, and that means a more varied selection of e-juice flavors gives you a virtually limitless option of flavors to try. Spiced rum and peach, anyone?
- Vape pens are widely considered to produce a smoother, more consistent delivery of nicotine.
- Longer battery life for vape pens means less frequent charging than e-cigarettes. This makes them more reliable and convenient for use throughout the day.
- Vape pens are not as easy to find. You may have to shop online or visit a specific vape shop in order to buy refills, rather than pick them up from your local convenience store.
- The atomizer can clog, so you will need to spend a bit more time maintaining your vape to ensure maximum performance.
- Vape pens are bulkier than e-cigs, and that means they may be more cumbersome when you’re out and about.
- You will have to refill the tank yourself, rather than just replace a cartridge. Although refilling is designed to be easy, it could be slightly messier than refilling e-cigarettes.
- A vape mod can produce even more vapor than other types of vapes. This makes them a popular choice for cloud-chasers.
- Similarly, vape mods can deliver enhanced flavor as opposed to the above two options.
- Because they are easier to customize, vape mods are popular with more experienced vapors. They allow greater flexibility for an enhanced, more personalized vaping experience.
- The larger tank can hold more liquid — usually 3 ml ore more — and that means you have to refill your vape less frequently.
- Vape mods use more power, as the atomizer resistance is generally lower in order to achieve the larger vapor volume. The mod also vaporizes e-liquid at a higher rate.
- Mods are bulkier than vape pens, which makes them slightly less portable.
- Vape mods are easier to customize and are typically more expensive.
- Using a vape mod requires more of a learning curve and more research in order to get the most out of your device.
- As with a vape pen, you will probably have to purchase your mod and supplies from a specific vape shop or online, rather than from your local convenience store.
Is an E-Cig the Right Option?
If you’re looking to simulate the experience of smoking as realistically as possible — for instance, if you want a substitute for traditional cigarettes without the same health risks — an e-cig may be the best choice for you.
If you’re interested in joining the cloud-chasing craze, with the chance to customize and experiment with flavors, you will probably find an e-cig to be too limiting. Having said that, e-cigs can often deliver a deeper “throat hit” that is more in line with a real cigarette, and cloud-chasers often seek that.
Is a Vaporizer the Right Option?
If the range of e-liquid flavors and the vaping community appeal to you, you’re probably better off with a vape pen or mod. With longer battery lives, larger vape clouds, and more scope to have some fun with it, vape pens and mods tend to be the most popular choice in personal vaporizers.
The two are largely similar, but for those who want to produce the biggest vapor clouds without having to refill the tank as often, we would suggest a vape mod. If a slimmer, simpler design is more important to you, go for a vape pen.
You may also consider a desktop vaporizer, a plug-in unit designed for use at home. This may be more suited to you if you want to share your vape with friends, similar to a hookah pipe. Desktop vaporizers are generally more resilient and are perfect if you regularly vape in your home.
Original article appears on vapemountain.com.